So you have finally decided to evict that tenant. Maybe they stop paying or maybe you just decided to stop listening to their excuses.
Whatever the reason, you are doing the right thing by filing the eviction notice. It is confusing, intimidating, and a little scary to think about confronting the tenant in court or evicting them. Just keep telling yourself that this is your property and this is the only way to get the property back or get compliance from the tenant. Like going to the doctor for a shot, it is just a little pain that will help in the long term.
Here are some tips to filing the eviction notice:
- Search online to see if your jurisdiction has a printable eviction notice. Most larger municipalities will publish these online in a PDF format so you can simply fill them in on your computer. Worst case, print it out and then fill it out as neatly as possible.
- If you have questions on how to fill out the paperwork, go down to the courthouse and talk to the workers. Pick a time during the middle of the week in the middle of the afternoon so they are not busy. You will be surprised that they will be very helpful.
- During that discussion, also ask the workers how the eviction process works. Take notes, ask questions and be sure you understand the entire process before you leave there. Make sure to ask what many landlords do incorrectly that causes them to lose their eviction case.
- When your court date arrives, make sure to be at court on time. Have all your supporting evidence. Be prepared.
- If possible, discuss the situation with the tenant. Do not let them intimidate you or give you more excuses. Once you are in eviction court, you have control and power to chose if you are going to take another excuse or promise. Don’t do it!
Filing the eviction notice is not difficult, but it can be intimidating if you have never done it before so asking for legal help and hiring an eviction lawyer will be a great benefit because he or she will take care of everything for you. Check this out and see what eviction lawyers can do for you.